|Medium Monstrous Humanoid (Aquatic)|
|Hit Dice:||5d8+15 (37 hp)|
|Speed:||30 ft., swim 30 ft.|
|AC:||17 (+1 Dex +6 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 16|
|Base Attack/Grapple: ||+5/+14|
|Attack:||Slam +10 melee (1d4+5)|
|Full Attack:||Slam +10 melee (1d4+5)|
|Space/Reach:||5 ft./5 ft.|
|Special Attacks:||Tongue lash, engulfment, improved grab|
|Special Qualities:||Amphibious, darkvision 60 ft.|
|Saves:||Fort 6, Ref 5, Will 4|
|Abilities:||Str 20, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 7|
|Skills:||Listen +3, Move Silently +4, Spot +2, Swim* +8|
|Feats:||Great Fortitude, Improved Grapple|
|Organization:||Swarm 5-20 (3d6+2)|
|Challenge Rating: ||3|
|Treasure:||Standard coins; ½ goods and items|
|Alignment:||Usually Lawful Evil|
|Advancement:||By character class|
- Golth-qua'n are a deep sea, aquatic race which lives far below the water's surface. They stand nearly 8 ft tall and have
thick, humped bodies as if they were meant to walk on all fours. However, when out of the water, the golth-qua'n stands
erect as a biped. The skin of this aquarian is thick, rubbery, and covered with coral-like growths. Its coloration is brackish
black and dark green. The golth-qua'n's shoulders are sloped upward to their heads, giving them a slightly "torpedo" look.
On either side of its head are two large, flat, and yellow eyes which are about four inches across and slightly oval in shape.
Their eyes become white colored when suddenly exposed to bright light until they adjust to the lighting change.
They have no nose as they use their incredibly long (15 ft) tongue to sniff the air like a
snake. Their mouths are very large and are capable of holding a medium-size opponent's head and shoulders. Thick,
rubbery, and rounded lips protrude from their face. Despite being a carnivore the creature has only four small, claw-like
Small spines run down the creatures back. Its arms are powerfully muscled, as are its
thick legs. The creature has a small bit of webbing between its legs and both its massive hands and stumpy feet are
webbed as well. Its hands are large enough to enclose around an man-sized opponent's entire face or even their head.
The golth-qua'n is not a very flexible creature.
- A golth-qua'n attempts to engulf a creature into its mouth as soon as possible, tripping the victim first so that it is easier to
grapple with its tongue and strong grip.
Tongue Lash (Ex): As though it possessed the Improved Trip Attack feat, a
golth-qua'n can make a trip attack against creatures up to 15 feet distant with its tongue. A golth-qua'n attempts to
initiate a grapple on a successful trip attack and may do so without provoking an attack of opportunity.
Engulfment (Ex): The round following the successful grapple of a medium-sized
or smaller creature, a golth-qua'n can wrap its mouth around the upper head, shoulders, and chest of the creature and
begin to tear its innards out through a powerful suction action and by pushing its tongue into the victims body. Victims
of this attack suffer a cumulative 1d8 points of damage per round from this attack, to a maximum of 5d8 per round.
A victim of a golth-qua'n's engulfment attack can escape with a successful opposed
grapple check or with a successful escape artist check. The DC to escape by use of the Escape Artist skill is the
golth-qua'n's original grapple check plus one per round of suction action.
A golth-qua'n can attack other creatures with its fists while it eviscerates a creature with
its engulfment attack, doing so penalizes the golth-qua'n's grapple checks by -20.
Skills: A golth-qua'n has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some
special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can
use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.
- The golth-qua'n live in a society where they physically prow dominate over those who are weaker. This forms the pecking
order of their social system. Those who are weaker submit or are slain by those more powerful. The cities of the golth-qua'n
are built with great stones and coral rock which is glued together through a substance which they secrete.
Female golth-qua'n tend to dominate over males and mating is often violent and bloody.
Golth-Qua'n hate and hunt most other aquatic races and are a frequent bane to peaceful
- The meat of the golth-qua'n is tough, gristly, and considered unfit for eating by most creatures. Larger carnivores of the
ocean tend to spit the golth-qua'n out because of their tough hides and bad taste, leaving the golth-qua'n alive.
The glue-like substance which is exuded by the golth-qua'n and used for their dwellings
is also useful for water-proofing objects and is an excellent adhesive even underwater.
Golth qua'n fancy gems, and golden or silver objects which sparkle.
- Golth-Qua'n Characters
- Golth-qua'n are unlikely adventurers, but it is conceivable that an evil druid or cleric with the Water domain might acquire one
as a cohort. Golth-qua'n prefer to remain in the water except for the brief period of time when they are out of the water
hunting coastal dwellers or sailing ships. Golth-qua'n characters have the following traits:
- +8 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +6 Constitution, -1 Intelligence, -4 Charisma
- Medium size: Golth-qua'n neither gain nor suffer penalty for being Medium size creatures.
- Darkvision 60 ft.
- Racial Hit Dice: A golth-qua'n begins with five levels of monstrous humanoid, which provide 5d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +5, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +1, Ref +4, and Will +4.
- Racial Skills: A golth-qua'n's monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 8 x (2+ Int. modifier, minimum 1). Its class skills are Listen, Move Silently, Spot, and Swim.
- Racial Feats: A golth-qua'n's monstrous humanoid levels give it two feats. Golth-qua'n gain the Improved Grab feat as
a bonus feat.
- Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A golth-qua'n is automatically proficient with all simple weapons. It is not proficient in any type of armor or shields.
- +6 natural armor bonus.
- Amphibious: Golth-qua'n are able to breath both within and without water.
- Special attacks (see above): Tongue lash, engulfment
- Favored class: Fighter