|Large Monstrous Humanoid|
|Hit Dice:||5d8+18 (37 hp)|
|AC:||16 (-1 size +1 dex +6 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 15|
|Base Attack/Grapple: ||+5/+14|
|Attack:||Claw +8 melee (1d8+5)|
|Full Attack:||2 claws +8 melee (1d8+5)|
|Space/Reach:||10 ft./10 ft.|
|Special Attacks:||Frost breath|
|Special Qualities:||Tree stride, darkvision 60 ft.|
|Saves:||Fort 6, Ref 5, Will 5|
|Abilities:||Str 20, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 6, Wis 13, Cha 8|
|Skills:||Hide +4, Listen* +11, Move Silently +4, Spot +6|
|Feats:||Alertness, Great Fortitude|
|Challenge Rating: ||3|
|Advancement:||6 to 15 HD (Large)|
|Level Adjustment:||+5 (cohort)|
- The Forest Massiff is a rather fierce looking, large, furred, humanoid creature. The forest massiff is thought to be somehow
related to the Yeti or Sasquach for it is vaguely manlike if you overlook its fur and ten foot tall demeanor. Forest massiffs
are generally peaceful and try to avoid contact with other beings. Their long, heavily furred and muscled arms end in strong
paw-like hands which are sharply clawed. The main use of these claws though is not to hurt predators or for combat, but
rather are used to shred bark from the trunks of trees. Forest massiffs do not hesitate to use their claws as weapons if
- Unless continually provoked, a forest massiff will retreat at first opportunity by use of its tree stride ability. Only
under duress do they employ their frost breath.
Frost Breath (Su): The forest massiff's chilling breath is a 10 foot long cone that
inflicts 3d6 damage (Fortitude DC 15 for one-half damage) to all in its path. Usually used to make the bark of a tree more
brittle and easier to tear away, this breath weapon can also be turned against pesky adventurers who have mistaken the
forest massiff to be a forest predator.
Tree Stride (Su): Three times per day, as a move equivalent action that does
not provoke an attack of opportunity, a forest massiff can touch any tree taller than itself and teleport itself to appear next
to another tree of its choosing within 740 feet.
Skills: Forest Massiffs possess acute hearing and gain a +7 racial bonus to
- Forest massiffs are quiet and solitary creatures. They tend to keep a small family for a short period of their lives and after
that they are once again alone. Forest massiffs generally avoid contact with any of the advanced races and are able to
avoid most predators as well through use of their tree stride ability. Forest massiffs are less active in the winter.
They tend to scavenge and gather during daylight hours in the deep forests.
- A forest massiff has few predators. They rarely procreate since they are such solitary creatures. Few predators are able to
kill a forest massiff before it has time to tree stride away to safety. The only documented cases of a forest massiff
willingly engaging in combat is during mating or if protecting one of its young.
- Forest massiffs are said to be kindred of the God of the Wild,
Baeast. Sages speculate this due to some powers which
the secretive Druids of Baeast employ which are similar to those of the forest massiff. No Druid has confirmed any of this
speculation; most of them preferring to be left alone just as much as the forest massiffs.
- Forest Massiff Characters
- Forest Massiffs are unlikely adventurers. They are primitive in their intelligence and unsociable creatures that dislike being
near civilization. Barbarians, druids, and rangers might earn the loyalty of a forest massiff as a cohort. Other character
classes are unlikely to attract such loyalty without the woodsmen skills of those previously mentioned classes.
Forest massiff characters have the following traits:
- +8 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +6 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, -4 Intelligence, -2 Charisma
- Large size: -1 penalty to Armor Class, -1 penalty on attack rolls, -4 penalty on Hide checks, +4 bonus on grapple
checks, lifting and carrying limits double those of Medium characters.
- Darkvision 60 ft.
- Space/Reach: 10 feet/10 feet.
- Racial Hit Dice: A forest massiff begins with five levels of monstrous humanoid, which provide 5d8 Hit Dice, a base
attack bonus of +5, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +1, Ref +4, and Will +4.
- Racial Skills: A Forest Massiff's monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 8 x (2+ Int. modifier, minimum 1).
Its class skills are Hide, Listen, Move Silently, and Spot.
- Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A forest massiff is automatically proficient with all simple weapons. It is not proficient in any type of armor or shields.
- +6 natural armor bonus.
- Special Attacks (see above): Frost breath.
- Special Qualities (see above): tree stride.
- +7 racial bonus to all Listen skill checks.
- Natural Weapons: 2 Claws (1d8 + strength modifier)
- Favored class: Barbarian