Forums    Newsletter    Guestbook    About    Search    Updates      
         Copyright © Randy Bowers. All rights reserved.

You are currently
not logged in.

Create an Account

Nickname:
Password:
 Remember me next
        time I visit.

forget your password?
click here

Forum Home
Current Topic

Forum Policy

Guests online: 7185
Members online: 0

Forums: Creatures

Nereid... Character race?
Started on May 29th, 2006 at 7:04PM CST by Amyante
[reply]  [ignore topic]  [watch topic]  [bookmark]  [printable]

I was toying around with the idea of making a character that (for once) wasn't one of the standard human, orc, (half)elf, dwarf and halfling races. Eventually, i got to the Nereid.

My usual alignment is Chaotic Good, which would only be a small step away from the common Chaotic Neutral of the race. Her religion (here) would be Chishleen, but on the setting i was planning to use her on it'd be Deep Sashelas.

Class would be Bard (possibly later on 'prestiging' to Shadowdancer, if i can resist the pull of Dragon Disciple (Sea Dragon) that is), since that would make sense for her dexterity bonuses and natural song-based charm attack, as well as Deep Sashelas having (among others) magic in his portofolio.

Anyway, my question: Since i don't know the first thing about balancing characters (not on my own, at least) when facing stuff like CR, Advancement and stuff like that, i was wondering if i should change some stuff in there to prevent me from getting overpowered. This includes what i should place her stats at (4d6, drop lowest?) as well as special abilities that would give me an extreme advantage over the others.

The 3rd Ed rules on Nereids are as follows:

NEREID
Medium Fey (Extraplanar, Water)
Hit Dice: 4d6+8 (22 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft., swim 40 ft.
Armor Class: 16 (+2 Dex, +4 deflection), touch 16, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+3
Attack: Dagger +3 melee (1d4/19-20), or spit +5 ranged (poison)
Full Attack: Dagger +3 melee (1d4/19-20), or spit +5 ranged (poison)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Drowning kiss, hand of water, poison spit, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, shawl dependency, spell resistance 21, water form, water mastery
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +5
Abilities: Str 11, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 18
Skills: Bluff +11, Escape Artist +6, Hide +7, Knowledge (any one) +8, Listen +8, Move Silently +7, Sense Motive +8, Spot +8, Swim +8
Feats: Dodge, Great Fortitude
Environment: Elemental Plane of Water
Organization: Solitary, gang (2-4), or troupe (2-6 plus 1 giant squid, 1 giant octopus, or 1 large viper snake per nereid)
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure: No coins; no goods; standard items
Alignment: Usually chaotic neutral
Advancement: 5-12 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: –

Gorgeous and voluptuous, this young female humanoid has long flowing hair, pearly white skin, and sparkling green eyes. Her voice is heavenly and its song is engaging. She carries a white shawl draped over her shoulders, but she is otherwise lightly clad in white and gold.

Many a male planewalker and sailor has thrown his life away for the fleeting embrace of the “honeyed ones”, the beautiful nereids of Elemental Water. Playful and flighty, and as unpredictable as their watery homes, the nereids tempt and trick sailors to their dooms.
If confronted by only females, a nereid appears in a male guise, but its powers are not as effective on women.

COMBAT
Nereids have poor physical attacks, but if forced into combat, they will attack using their poison spittle and mastery of water.

Drowning Kiss (Su): A nereid that lures a mortal into some act of passion, or simply plants a kiss on its lips, is able to drown it by filling its lungs with water. A target unable to breathe water must make a Constitution check (DC 15, +1 for every round after the first) or be instantly killed. If the target is not willing to be kissed, the nereid must start a grapple, which provokes an attack of opportunity, but it usually charms mortals so that they submit willingly.

Hand of Water (Su): As a full-round action, a nereid can form a volume of water into the shape of a huge arm. This functions similar to the clenched fist spell, but the hand can only be created within or directly above a body of water.
The hand of water can interpose itself (+4 cover bonus to AC), push (bull rush, +17 bonus), grapple (+30 grapple bonus), or strike (+29 attack bonus, 1d8+11 damage) one opponent that the nereid selects.
Any creature struck by the hand of water must make a Fortitude save (DC 22) or be stunned for 1 round. Directing the hand of water to a new target is a move action.
The hand is occupies a 10 ft. square, and has a 5-ft. reach. Its AC is 20 (-1 size, +11 natural) and it’s effective Strength score is 33. It never provokes attacks of opportunity.
The save DC is Charisma-based.

Poison Spit (Ex): A nereid can spit her poison up to a distance of 20 feet, with no range increments. A creature struck by the attack must make a DC 14 Fortitude save or become blinded for 2d6 rounds. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Shawl Dependency (Ex): The nereid protects her shawl at all costs, for it contains her essence; if it is destroyed, the nereid dissolves into formless water. Possession of a nereid’s shawl gives one control over the creature, which will accept commands to avoid damage to the shawl.

Spell-Like Abilities: At will – charm person (DC 14), control water (DC 20). Caster level 10th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Water Form (Su): A nereid is able to turn her body into normal water at will, and uses this ability to flow away when seriously threatened. In water form she cannot be damaged in any way except by offensive effects that can target a body of water.

Water Mastery (Ex): A nereid gains a +1 attack and damage bonus if both she and her opponent touch water. If either the opponent or the nereid is land bound, the nereid suffers a -4 penalty to attack and damage. (These modifiers are not included in the statistics block).

-------------