Forums    Newsletter    Guestbook    About    Search    Updates      
         Copyright © Randy Bowers. All rights reserved.

You are currently
not logged in.

Create an Account

Nickname:
Password:
 Remember me next
        time I visit.

forget your password?
click here

Forum Home
Current Topic

Forum Policy

Guests online: 2810
Members online: 0

Forums: General Discussion Board

3.0 (.5) Pres. Classing
Started on September 1st, 2005 at 1:13PM CST by magicCheese
[reply]  [ignore topic]  [watch topic]  [bookmark]  [printable]

There is a wizard class back in 2.0 that I was looking
to bring in to my 3.5 game.  The Chronomancer.  Mainly
on of the pc's ( .. my self ) was wanting to spice up my
Sorc. some.. How ever I am hitting a wall, 1) I can not
find the book for sell, being out of print and not a very
common book its hard to find it ( for a normal price ) I am
not playing 100 bucks for a book that is paperback and
under 100 pages long.  Any way I noticed that this site
said someting about a chronomancer. ( Very interesting
story btw ) and Was wondering if that was just taken
from the book or had you mod-ed all the stats
to make it 3.0 ready. Just a question.  

Thanks for your time.

- Cheese

3.0 (.5) Pres. Classing
Posted on September 1st, 2005 at 3:35PM CST by Sulerin [bookmark]  [printable]  [reply]
Cheese;

Welcome to the Sulerin Forums! I'm guessing that you are referring to the character background story of Elvaryn from the  Return to the Tomb of Horrors campaign that I ran several years ago.

The book you are looking for is Chronomancer (TSR stock #9506), published back in 1995, and yes, it has been out of print for quite a long time. Much of what was Chronomancer and its ideas never made it into 3rd (or 3.5) edition, but there are some traces here and there if you look carefully.

In the Manual of the Planes (Wizards of the Coast stock #WTC11850) there is a substantial subsection devoted to the Temporal Energy Plane, the Plane of Time. Which borrows heavily from the Chronomancer book. There, the notion of time is treated as though it were an energy element, like positive or negative energy planes are. Consideration is given to conducting combat in this plane and what some of its features are (temporal whirlpools, temporal wind, time loops, and mention of a Citadel of Eternity).

Otherwise, scant 3rd edition material from that book exists. You might also look at the Fatespinner prestige class from the Complete Arcane (#WTC179250000, pub. Nov. 2004). Though not strictly "time" wizardry, these characters can manipulate fate, luck, for their own good. They can force creatures to reroll a roll that has already been made, or even directly alter a creatures chances of success and failure. They really are nothing like Chronomancers though, not as you might be familiar with them from the old 2nd edition book.

Wizards of the Coast has a small document talking about how Chronomancy fits into various settings. You might also take a look at the Encyclopaedia Arcane, Chronomancy from Mongoose publishing. If you really must have the original though, check out Ebay. a quick search brought up a couple opportunities to purchase the book for less than $20USD.

Anyway, to answer your question, I ran the Return to the Tomb of Horrors in the dying days of 2nd edition. Mere months later we were playing 3rd Edition. So there was no modding of the 2nd edition class done. It seems to me that it would be fairly easy to convert the concept from 2nd to 3rd edition, particularly since basic rules for the timestream can be found in the Manual of the Planes or directly imported into 3rd edition from that book.

Would love to hear people's opinions of various 3rd/3.5 edition "Chronomancer" suppliments.

Good luck!