Forums    Newsletter    Guestbook    About    Search    Updates      
         Copyright © Randy Bowers. All rights reserved.

You are currently
not logged in.

Create an Account

Nickname:
Password:
 Remember me next
        time I visit.

forget your password?
click here

Forum Home
Current Topic

Forum Policy

Guests online: 3004
Members online: 0

Forums: Magic Items

Magic Item problems
Started on April 14th, 2005 at 8:23PM CST by mythos
[reply]  [ignore topic]  [watch topic]  [bookmark]  [printable]

First of all let me say that this is one of the most interesting and original campaign settings that I have  ever seen. Many of the new magic items just have a really cool feeling to them. That being said I do have a couple of comments.

The Robes of the Dead gives commanded undead a +2 morale bonus on attack rolls, damage rolls, checks, and saves. The problem with this is that undead are immune to mind-affecting effects. This immunity includes morale effects (3.5 MM I, pg. 317).

The Engravings of Might grant a bonus anywhere from a +1 to a +6 bonus. A few of the questions are, does the bonus to strength count as "natural" strength for the fullfilment of feat requirements? And if so, does the bonus provided by the tattoos count against the maximum Inherent bonus that one may have to a particular ability score? Also, since the strength is granted by a magical effect, can it be dispelled by a dispell magic and thus by extension, does it cease to function in an anti-magic zone?

Anyways, just a few questions and comments.

-mythos

Magic Item problems
Posted on April 16th, 2005 at 1:22AM CST by Sulerin [bookmark]  [printable]  [reply]
Good point on the morale bonus. These were probably upgraded to 3rd ed when we were still new to the system. For the Robes of the Dead assign an enhancement bonus, not a morale bonus. If, in your campaign world, only evil clerics can command undead (this is not true in Sulerin) then you may consider it to be a profane bonus.

The Engravings of Might function like other items which enhance ability scores. As regards feats, a character can take the feat if their modified ability score fulfills the prerequisite, but if the character's ability score later drops beneath the prerequisite then they can no longer use the feat until the situation has been corrected. The bonus granted by the Engravings of Might are an enhancement bonus, the engravings do not use an item slot (they are tattoos). The engravings can be targeted with a dispel magic spell the same as any other magic item. Their power is then briefly interrupted.

Personally, I would house rule that the character needs the benefit of the magical bonus for a minimum of 24 hours before they are able to select a feat based on their modified ability score. This hasn't come up in any of my campaigns though.

Also, the market value for +6 engravings should be listed as 72,000gp.

I've corrected the items, thanks for the observations! :)